It has been almost three weeks since the 22 February earth quake in Christchurch. The first week involved responding to the disaster: cleaning, treating water, accessing more water, finding showers and washing machines, finding shops that are open, an finding safe ways to poo. Very basic demands took over our life.
My brain was not operating very well and I found that I started 100 different things and I didn't manage to complete one of them. My thoughts were skipping and Charlie and I ran around like headless chickens for 2-3 days. In reality, I think we were coping well. Many people simply escaped Chch and I don't blame them if they have bad nerves or had kids for example.
When we finally got too much cabin fever, we jumped on our bikes to check out how the hillside suburbs of Christchurch had been coping...a bit of rubbernecking.
Widespread liquefaction on Ferry Road. It only took the council about a week before they removed the worst big bumps and smoothed out the road. Considering this is not the only EQ hit road, I think that was commendable.
No more BBQs for sale any more along Ferrymead Rd Giant holes and crack by the causeway into Redcliffs:
The luxury houses on top of Clifton Terrace didn't seem that attractive all of a sudden.
Shag rock BEFORE EQ and AFTER..now called Shag Pile:

Redcliffs's own sand castle house was getting intimate with a giant boulder.
Rock falls from Cliffton Tce.
This RSA building in Sumner was crushed with one person killed inside by the massive rock. It was very tragic and I almost feel bad taking/showing the photo.
It has been a very sad couple of weeks. I feel like I am often close to tears. Meeting friends and getting to know neighbours have been a very important aspect of getting through and processing what had happened.
When power was out, we all were in a mad rush to consume all the food from the freezer. Over a few nights in a row we consumed a disproportionate amount of meat. I hate throwing out food, so we had to do it. Charlie and I often went over to Neil and Ruth's place, which got power much faster than the rest of us. They had Ric and Jo and Mark and Anna staying with them since these poor buggers had lost some of the essential walls, misc pillars and the three services. It made the hot tub very cramped when the power was back:
Time to go to bed now..in the real bed. I hope everyone is safe out there (Japan, PNG, Taiwan, Hawaii...)
No comments:
Post a Comment